Don’t Let Your Candles Be The Source Of A House Fire

Follow these tips to prevent a house fire at your home.

Lighting a candle is a great way to add some add some warmth to your house. Unfortunately, it may also be the cause of dangerous and destructive house fires. Knowing how to prevent a fire from starting at your house while still being able to enjoy the beauty of candles can help to keep you safe. Keep these candle safety tips in mind next time you strike a match.

  • Never leave a lit candle unattended. If you are leaving the room for an extended period of time, extinguish the candle. Keep in mind that you can always relight the candle when you come back.
  • All lit candles should have at least a two-foot safety circle around them at all times. Do not place a lit candle around any flammable items, including books, clothing, curtains, or furniture.
  • Place all candles on a sturdy base that is large enough to hold the candle. If you are placing a large candle on the ground, make sure it is in a large enough votive.
  • Keep the wick of the candle trimmed to no more than one-quarter inch. A short wick will prevent the flame from becoming too big.
  • Do not place a lit candle in an area that it could be knocked over by pets or kids. Keep in mind many people reach over the end of a coffee table, so always place the candle in the middle.
  • If you are mixing candles in with your holiday decorations, consider using flameless candles that won’t start a fire if left unattended.

Having the right homeowners insurance policy in place will help to ensure that you are covered in case of any unfortunate situation this season. Contact the independent insurance professionals at  Mayer Insurance in Apple Valley, Minnesota for all of your home insurance coverage needs.