Sending your Teen off to College with the Right Insurance

Sending your child off to college is a very scary and stressful time as a parent. While you want them to enjoy their new freedom of living on their own, you also want to make sure that they stay safe and protected. Making sure they are covered with the right insurance policies can help to ensure that they are covered in any situation. Make sure to look into the following insurance policies to ensure that they are protected.

  • Homeowners insurance. If your child is moving into a dorm, check your homeowners insurance policy to see if it will provide the coverage needed. Most policies will provide a limited amount of coverage for belongings that are kept at a different residence, such as in a dorm.  You may want to increase the amount of personal possessions insurance to ensure that all of their belongings are covered.
  • Renter’s insurance. If your teen is moving into an off campus house or apartment, investing in a renter’s insurance policy will provide the right amount of protection for all of their assets. While the landlord has an insurance policy for the home, it will only cover any damage that is done to the structure of the home, not any of the possessions that are in the home. For a very inexpensive monthly premium, a renter’s insurance policy will provide enough coverage to protect all of the assets that your child brings with them, such as their laptop, TV, and game consul.

For all of your insurance needs when your teen goes off to college, contact the insurance professionals at Mayer Insurance in Apple Valley, Minnesota. As an independent insurance agency, we can help to ensure that you have the most comprehensive insurance policies that best fit all of the needs of your college student, all at the right price.